Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The First Week



Unfortunately, the Arctic hare (or hares) did not reappear on my morning walk to school for the rest of the week.  Thankfully, the ravens were still around to keep me company with their assortment of sounds and songs.  These large black birds are the seagulls of the north.  They survive by picking up the leftover food that we humans throw away.

I wasn't pleased to wait for phone and internet installation at my residence but that's the way it is in the north.  Goods and services aren't always available.  I would have to rely on the school's phone and internet to keep in touch with the outside world.  And the posting of my latest blog would be delayed as well.  I hoped my loyal readers would not be upset.    
            
It didn't take long for me to realize that the shock of static electricity I received on my first day was actually a forewarning of a nuisance that is always present in the north.  To escape the extreme cold, people retreat into heated buildings.  However, the climate inside is so dry that everything you touch creates a spark.  I experienced a little bit of static electricity when I was working in Iqaluit, but here, it's on a different level.  Every time I hear the discharges in the hallways, they remind me of the rapid camera flashes you see in a sports stadium during a game.       
            
I had a meeting with the principal about what my third class should be?  From our discussion we decided on starting a guitar class.  The class would take place during 4th period, the last period of the school day.  Third period would remain as my spare/preparation time.  Before I could begin the following week (February 4), I had to make sure that I had all the necessary instruments and resources.  I first examined the school's three acoustic guitars and determined that two of them were too warped to be used.  Finding replacements weren't a problem because the local Co-op had acoustic guitars on sale for $220 each.  They also sold guitar strings, picks, and tuners.  I selected 3 guitars, 3 packages of replacement strings, two packs of guitar picks, and a tuner.  All this was paid for by the school.  My students would use the new guitars and I would use the old guitar that wasn't warped. 
            
At the end of the week, I received two separate deliveries: my two food boxes, and 18 boxed & wrapped items containing my appliances, kitchenware, clothes, toiletries, and furniture.  I didn't have to go to the airport to pick up the deliveries; I arranged pickup and delivery with the local mover Bobbie.  Delivery of the two food boxes only cost $10.  As for the larger load . . . I'm not sure because it was covered by the Nunavut Government.    I was surprised that all 18 items arrived at once.  I was expecting them to be delivered in smaller loads.  I commend First Air for being able to fit everything into one plane.    
            
A lot of fundraising happens at Inuujaq School.  One such event took place on Friday, February 1, in my classroom after school.  The event in question was a video game hockey tournament, organized by Sean, the teacher who had been looking after my classes before my arrival.  The chosen game was NHL 13 for the PlayStation 3, made by EA Sports.  Participants had to pay $5 to enter the tournament and that money went towards the Badminton Team.
            
Even though I'm a computer gamer, I decided to enter the tournament to contribute to the fundraiser, meet some of the students, and to have fun.  Five students and three teachers participated in the tournament, playing continuously and simultaneously on three televisions.  I don't want to brag but I won one game and lost three, ending in fourth.  Sean won first place, followed by Boy, an elementary school student, in second.  Kyle, a middle school teacher, attained third place. 
            
On my first weekend in Arctic Bay, I decided to take a walk and photograph the town and the surrounding landscape.  Not many Canadians and tourists get a chance to visit this distant and isolated part of the country so best to give you a glimpse of what life is like on the northern tip of Baffin Island.  To combat the presence of permafrost, buildings are built above the ground, resting on metal stilts.  The stilts are driven deep into the ground to bed rock.  If there was a central water and sewage system, the pipes would also be above ground but heavily insulated against the Arctic cold.

            
Arctic Bay Airport
When it comes to transportation, the people of Arctic Bay have many choices.  When you're in town, the cheapest option is to walk because everything is within close proximity (minus the industrial area, and airport).  Residents also use cars, pickup trucks, snow mobiles, and ATVs.  Dog teams are used for hunting and leisure trips out on the land.  During the long winter months, the dogs reside on the frozen ice in the bay.  They are fed seal meat to stay strong.  When it's feeding time, the dogs become very excited and bark loudly when the master approaches with the food. 
            
Feeding Time
As I mentioned in earlier posts, there are only two stores in town: Taqqut Co-op and the Northern Store.  However, thanks to the internet, goods can be ordered and flown in.  For food (referred to as Food Mail), residents order from the Marché Central du Nord.  And of course, there're animals to hunt in the surrounding areas, such as, caribou, seal, ptarmigan, Arctic char, and polar bear.  (I should note that quotas are in place as to how many polar bears a community can hunt).
            
RCMP Station
For people wanting to visit the community, accommodations can be reserved at the Tangmaarvik Inn.  The RCMP maintains a presence with a small station manned by two officers who are on call 24/7.  When it comes to alcohol, Arctic Bay is a restricted community.  Residents must obtain an import permit from the local Alcohol Education Committee before they can order liquor.   
            
The health centre employs three nursing staff and a community physician flies in once every month.  The dentist comes about once every 3 months and a psychiatrist every 6 months.  Since demand for these services are high, out-of-towners are encouraged to seek these services down south.  Prescription drugs can be ordered through Iqaluit.    
            
Hockey Arena
The sport of choice is hockey and games are played at the local arena.  The town recently built a Community Hall (nicknamed the 'C Hall') to host public gatherings, activities, and clubs.  Event planners use Facebook, the local radio, and word of mouth to spread the word.
            
There are several local customs to be aware of when residing in the communities.  Similar to down south, locals rarely lock their doors and knock.  They just walk in.  If you would like privacy then just lock your door.  When someone raises their eyebrows it means 'yes'; when they wrinkle their nose it means 'no'.  And spitting, passing gas, and continuing to speak Inuktitut when a Qallunaat is present is not considered rude.

Tangmaarvik Inn

*Note:  The information about the health centre and local customs were summarized from a welcome package I received from Barb, the community's social worker.  A former Warrant Officer in the Canadian Armed Forces, she also volunteers at 3045 Army Cadet Corps as a drill instructor.             

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Adrain,
    How are you? My name is XiuLan,I'm a student of Ibtisaam's class,and I heard about you from her.I'm attractive in what you have been doing in your new career. I would like to know how many students there are in your class,what subject that you teach in high school,also the weather is extremely cold there,how do you deal with the cold weather? And how do you spend your spare time? How much do you like teaching there? Ibtisaam said you are a hardworking young man, so I think your students must be pleased in your class. Finally, I'm so glad to know about you.

    Nice to read your blog,thank you.
    XiuLan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello XiuLan,

    Thank you for your comments & questions. I teach high school English, Social Studies, and Guitar. The size of my classes are small: 12 in English, 12 in SS, and 4 in Guitar. The weather can be very cold during the winter, dropping to as low as -53 with windchill, so you have to dress very warmly. Right now, the temperatures are above -20.

    I like teaching in this remote corner of Canada. The locals are friendly and the scenery is spectacular. Plus, I'm learning more about Inuit culture.

    Outside of school, I spend most of my time preparing lessons, correcting work, and volunteering at the local army cadet corps. When I do get time to myself, I mostly watch movies and read books.

    Cheers,

    Adrian

    ReplyDelete