Wednesday, June 26, 2013

A Ridge (Nearly) Too Far - Part 2


Before climbing King George V Mountain (KGVM), I asked the local Inuit population about the best routes to the summit.  The majority of answers and suggestions centered on two possibilities: a skidoo trail on the far left side of the mountain, and going around on the right side near the airport.  When I was climbing up the mountain directly, I was so sure on making it to the top that I forgot about the alternate routes.  Thankfully, my desire to postpone the rest of the hike had brought me to the skidoo trail.  All was not lost.  King George would not get the last laugh at the end of the day.
              
Skidoo trail
The slope that's used as a skidoo trail lies between KGVM and a mountain that's littered with red rocks.  The slope was completely covered in snow, similar to the one I slid down on my boots.  The skidoo tracks looked fresh and went all the way to the top.  I followed the skidoo tracks and reached the top of the slope in 10 minutes. 
            


I was surprised to see so many red rocks; I had grown use to seeing the colours black and dark brown.  The red rocks reminded me of the geological landscape of Australia.  Nearby stood an odd looking rock formation with a white & brown top.  I photographed it from different angles before continuing on along the rocky edges.  At this elevation, I could clearly see Arctic Bay and Victor Bay.  Taking the phrase 'Living life on the edge' literally, I laid down on a giant protruding red boulder and peaked over the edge.  The drop was straight down.  Gripping my camera tightly, I took a picture of Arctic Bay and the surrounding landscape. 
            
Victor Bay (right of centre).

My original approach that came up short.
There was a cold wind blowing when I arrived at the small opening I was unable to reach several hours before.  Examining the opening more closely reaffirmed my earlier conclusion that climbing it without proper equipment would have been impossible.  If I had made the attempt, I would have slipped and tumbled all the way down the mountain.  I carefully navigated around the opening and continued walking towards the inukshuks I had spotted on my earlier ascent.  I was most interested in the inukshuk that had been built on the edge of a protruding rock.
            
Summit of KGVM
The summit of KGVM is a wide plateau; not completely flat but a plateau nonetheless.  In the middle, the rocks are brown, black, and beige.  The red rocks are along the edges.  With so much open space, I think it would be possible to build a small town on top of King George's head.  A very large & tall beige inukshuk sits on the summit with small blue chords running around it.  Miniature lights are attached to the chords.  My guess is that the inukshuk is lit at Christmas time with the help of a generator. 
            


By this time, the overcast clouds had returned.  After filming a 360 degree view from the summit, I carefully walked over to the small beige inukshuk that had been built on a large red boulder.  One must use extreme caution because the path to the inukshuk lies between two steep drops.  Upon reaching the Inuit-made structure, I took several pictures and sat down on the ground.  I stayed there for a few minutes, enjoying the view, waving to anyone and everyone in Arctic Bay, and surveying the landscape through my binoculars.  I scrambled back up the path and walked further to the left side and got a clear view of the airport below.  KGVM is a perfect spot to watch aircraft arrive and depart from Arctic Bay.  I was also able to spot the pumping station where the water trucks go to bring water to the people.
            
Arctic Bay Airport
I headed back to the skidoo trail on the far left side of the mountain.  I had thought about descending down the right side of KGVM but it was already late in the day and I didn't want to get home at around midnight.  I followed the skidoo trail down the mountain until it connected to the road to Sewage Lagoon.  I continued on the road leading me through the garbage dump.  The sounds of loud seagulls were gone.  I examined some of the discarded vehicles and objects before replacing my face mask & ski goggles with a black toque & sunglasses.  The temperature was a lot warmer and I didn't want my face to sweat.  With a grin on my face, I looked in the direction of KGVM.  Look whose laughing now, George, I thought.
            

It was a pleasant walk back to my residence with the sun setting in front of me.  The sun would dip just below the mountains and would remain like that until the next morning.  I arrived back at my place at 8pm; my entire day excursion lasted 10 hours!  Despite adding an extra 4 hours to my excursion, I achieved my goal in reaching the summit.  The hike & climb gave me much needed exercise and the views were breathtaking.  Next time, though, I'll have an ice axe and crampons for my boots.


End of A Ridge (Nearly) Too Far Mini-Series.

No comments:

Post a Comment